Monday, June 12, 2006

This Post Brought to You by the Letter D

I preordered a Nintendo DS Lite from GameStop and yesterday was the street date for release. Having been anticipating this with some degree of excitement, I headed to the mall as soon as it opened at 11 am yesterday. It was then that I discovered that although the store I worked at for five summers opened at 11, most of the stores in the mall don't open until noon on Sundays. So I had to kill an hour. I was actually buying shoelaces when the GameStop opened, but I made it in there and claimed my new toy.

I must say, for an electronic gadget, it's nice looking. I didn't think I would like the white, but as white is the only color available in the US right now, so that's what I got. I'm really starting to like it. I never used the original DS, so I can't compare, but the screens on the Lite are just so bright and colorful. It's amazing. The screens are completely free of dead or stuck pixels, which is a huge plus. I don't think the DS has the same kind of problems with that as the PSP does, but I guess it can still happen. Anyhow, mine looks great.

New Super Mario Bros. is the only game I have for it, but it's been fun. Good ol' Mario. My only real complaint is that the face buttons on the DS are a little small and close together, so I sometimes find it hard to run and shoot fireballs at the same time. Man does that previous sentence sound stupid unless you play video games. NSMB doesn't really use the touch screen, so I'm not quite sure how well the stylus works in terms of game input. I guess I'll have to wait until I have the funds for another game to find out. I'll also have to wait until some friends get the system to try the wireless multiplayer. That sounds pretty sweet.

For comparison, here is my old school Gameboy, my Gameboy Advance SP, and the DS Lite side by side. Guess which screen is the easiest to see.


On an unrelated note, I've just heard about Deep Discount DVD, a website that sells... wait for it... DVDs at a discount. We're talking sub-Amazon prices here in many cases. And Amazon already undercuts most brick and mortar stores from what I have seen. Now, normally I wouldn't bother mentioning this as I'm sure everyone can shop for themselves, but I'll make an exception in this instance. You see, between now and June 17, you can enter a discount code for an extra 20% off. Put the DVDs in your cart, scroll down to the shipping area and enter DVDTALK or USATODAY as your coupon and boom, 20% off your order. I'm not trying to shill for these people (and yes, this is legit). I just think it's cool that I got Season 7 of the Simpsons for less than $25 when FYE wanted $50 for it. Oh, and did I mention free shipping? Check it out.

2 Comments:

Blogger lvs said...

Do you know where I could buy an old school Game Boy? I've looked for them, but I'm not sure I'm looking for the right thing. I know they're out there, and I want one. But... yeah. I'm not so tech savvy.

6/12/2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger lvs said...

Thanks for the link... while I decided not to purchase the old Game Boy at this time (remembering that my mom still has one at home), I did get back on the kick of getting a Super Nintendo. Dan and I agreed it would be crucial to our future happiness, and so he found one on Half.com. I just want you to know that you've been a critical instrument in our future happiness. Congratulations.

6/14/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home