Sunday, October 16, 2005

That's 0.132954 miles

In preparing to watch the Steelers play every week, I go around the net and read as much as I can about the upcoming game. I do this because I like to know what's going on and the announcers often do a poor job of letting the audience know what's happening. In a college game I watched yesterday, there was the following exchange:

Play-by-play guy: It looks like they're in field goal range.
Color commentator: Yes, it does look like they're in field goal range.


I know, it's hard to believe I won't be satisfied by that depth of analysis, but sometimes I like to know more. I actually think the radio crew that covers the Steelers games does a great job. They obviously put a lot of effort into their coverage since they don't have the luxury of being able to circle things in yellow or show fancy graphics to make their point. But sadly, the radio broadcast I get here doesn't sync up with the TV, so I can't simply mute the TV to listen to Bill and Tunch.

So anyway, as I'm reading up on game today between the Steelers and the Jaguars, I came across this little gem. Back in 2000, Jaguars running back Fred Taylor had the best game of his career against the Steelers. He ran for 234 yards and the Jags won 34-24, if I recall correctly. 234 yards! If you don't follow football, let me tell you, that's an awful lot. The worst part of it is that I was at that game. It was the second pro football game I'd ever been to and Three Rivers Staduim was packed with fans silently wondering, "Why doesn't anyone tackle this guy?" It was a sad day. Taylor is hurting right now, so much that he might not play, so I don't think we will see a repeat performance. But I'd like to thank the news outlets for reminding me of that particular low point in Steelers history. Who knows, maybe the annoucers on TV might even mention it.

Update, 1:35 pm: Well, Taylor isn't playing, but his replacement, Greg Jones, might darn well break Taylor's mark at this pace.

Upadte, 4:15 pm: Jones did not even come close to Taylor's mark. But this game took a year off my life. And because of that, I took at least five years off of the life of my coffee table. On the last play of the game, I was on verge of kicking my coffee table and possibly breaking the leg off, but I decided I'd rather not have to explain why I had a broken foot. Self-control is a good thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger -K- said...

although much to the huge disappointment of my dad and brother, I cannot comment knowledgably to your football posts or your video game posts (I was hardcore into old school nintendo and sega, but I never graduated to the other many boxes of joy my brother got throughout the years), I will just say that you are a delight and thank you for your splendid comments on my golb.

also, thanks for being the best prop guy ever (remember how many times she changed the color/location/type of notebooks?)

10/17/2005 1:07 AM  
Blogger Herr Wissenschaft said...

Back when I was single, had no kids and was a whole lot less into my job and church, I used to watch football and play video games. Now, nearly everything I know about these diversions comes secondhand through sources like yours. Keep your head up! The Steelers will be back on top some day.

10/17/2005 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home