Halloween Saving Time
There are three clocks in my apartment: one is in the living room, one in the bedroom, and one on the computer. Two of these clocks change themselves automatically for the end of daylight saving time, a useful feature for people like me who had no idea it was time to change the clocks back. Sadly, the third clock does not change itself and this was the clock I used to determine when I should get up today. Once every year I get the opportunity to have an extra hour of sleep without the associated guilt of feeling that I ought to be getting up and being productive and I missed it this year. I'm so disappointed.
But not nearly as disappointed as I was when I learned that the mainstay of classical Halloween music, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, was probably not written by Bach. Maybe this comes as no surprise to you musically-oriented people. Still, I like the music as I like most songs in a minor key, although I feel much of its associated creepiness is due to it being played everytime some movie or TV show needs some public domain scary music to use. Hmmm... public domain. That's means I ought to be able to link you to a download of a free, legal mp3, right? Why, okay then, I'll do just that. Have a listen to Frederik Magle's version. If that doesn't get your heart pumping, I guess you could buy The Best of Vanessa Mae. This sample of her version of Toccata and Fugue in D minor has a bit more of a kick to it.
But not nearly as disappointed as I was when I learned that the mainstay of classical Halloween music, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, was probably not written by Bach. Maybe this comes as no surprise to you musically-oriented people. Still, I like the music as I like most songs in a minor key, although I feel much of its associated creepiness is due to it being played everytime some movie or TV show needs some public domain scary music to use. Hmmm... public domain. That's means I ought to be able to link you to a download of a free, legal mp3, right? Why, okay then, I'll do just that. Have a listen to Frederik Magle's version. If that doesn't get your heart pumping, I guess you could buy The Best of Vanessa Mae. This sample of her version of Toccata and Fugue in D minor has a bit more of a kick to it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home