You, Me, and... Steve Jobs?
Surely I'm not the first person to notice this or comment on it, but since I came up with it all by myself (insert patting myself on the back), I'm going to talk about it.
If you have functional eyes, ears, and a television, you've probably seen ads similar to this one.
Now, the first million times I saw this commercial, the music sounded familiar. I assumed it was because I'd seen the commercial a million times. But eventually it clicked that the background music is by The Submarines; it's a song called "You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie." Quite a catchy tune, if I might add. But the commercial doesn't play the lyrics, an excerpt of which I will now relate to you.
Plastic Bottles
Imported Water
Cars we drive wherever we want to
Clothes we buy it's sweatshop labor
Drugs from corporate enablers
We're not living the Good life
Unless we're fighting the Good fight
You and Me just trying to get it right
In the center of the first world
It's laid out for us, who are we to break down?
Everyday we wake up
We choose Love
We choose light
And we try, it's too easy just to fall apart
Love can free us from all excess
From our deepest debts
Cause when our hearts are full we need much less
Now... maybe it's just me, but it really seems like Apple is selling one of the most over-indulgent pieces of personal electronics ever invented with a song that implies that iPhones are part of the problem. Am I missing something here?
Don't get me wrong. I'm a total hypocrite and badly want an iPhone. I just think that their choice of music is a little ironic. Although The Submarines are pretty good, so hopefully they get the recognition they deserve.
If you have functional eyes, ears, and a television, you've probably seen ads similar to this one.
Now, the first million times I saw this commercial, the music sounded familiar. I assumed it was because I'd seen the commercial a million times. But eventually it clicked that the background music is by The Submarines; it's a song called "You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie." Quite a catchy tune, if I might add. But the commercial doesn't play the lyrics, an excerpt of which I will now relate to you.
Plastic Bottles
Imported Water
Cars we drive wherever we want to
Clothes we buy it's sweatshop labor
Drugs from corporate enablers
We're not living the Good life
Unless we're fighting the Good fight
You and Me just trying to get it right
In the center of the first world
It's laid out for us, who are we to break down?
Everyday we wake up
We choose Love
We choose light
And we try, it's too easy just to fall apart
Love can free us from all excess
From our deepest debts
Cause when our hearts are full we need much less
Now... maybe it's just me, but it really seems like Apple is selling one of the most over-indulgent pieces of personal electronics ever invented with a song that implies that iPhones are part of the problem. Am I missing something here?
Don't get me wrong. I'm a total hypocrite and badly want an iPhone. I just think that their choice of music is a little ironic. Although The Submarines are pretty good, so hopefully they get the recognition they deserve.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home