Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Metahumor, or the Best 18 Seconds of TV Ever

Okay, so it's no secret I'm a Simpsons fan. And to be clear, I won't argue that it's the funniest show ever, so if my Arrested-Development-loving readers want to make that point, I certainly won't disagree. But there was one scene in the most recent episode of the Simpsons that was simply hysterical... if you got it.

Having discoverd the homicidal Sideshow Bob as a mayor of a small villa in Italy, the Simpson family promises not to reveal to his family the many times he's tried to kill Bart. But because the Italians are all about the wine, Lisa gets smashed and spills the beans. Curious about her accusations, the Italian police consult the "I Criminali Americani". Therein, they find a picture of Snake, accused of "Invasione Di Casa," and Mayor Quimby, accused of "Drink-o Drive-o". But then they flip the page to reveal a picture of Peter Griffin, accused of "Plagiarismo" and then the dad from American Dad accused of "Plagiarismo di Plagiarismo". I about died laughing. If you watch the DVD commentary on seasons 2 and 3 of the Simpsons DVDs, you hear them talking about things they did that Family Guy later picked up on. To be fair, I think Family Guy is funnier right now than The Simpsons. But no one can deny they stole 80% of their plots from the Simpsons either. I think it's hilarious that The Simpsons writers called them on it. And I felt the need to share. So enjoy.

Edit: Yeah, there was going to be a picture here, but apparently I can't capture the image from the video, so use your imagination. Just use your imagination. Just use your im-a-gin-aaaaa-tion.

1 Comments:

Blogger -K- said...

1. I heart all three of those shows and I love Simpsons for doing that. That's why you got to hand it to them...they've been around for a long, long time.

2. I really thought D. Adams was a nihilist? I seriously thought that was a known fact. I mean, I could most definitely be wrong and I hope I am. So I apologize if I am. I still love the man no matter what. If you glance at my profile you'll notice that hitchhiker's is one of my favorite series.

12/14/2005 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home